When it comes to Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS aka RSD) ; the related mental health is as important as treating the physical pain….Because when it comes to CRPS, especially if the condition becomes chronic, some people can be very quickly in dark places or even want to commit suicide.
When a CRPS patient comes to these dark places, I think it is important to:
– Let him/her cry, shout…..
– Recognize his/her suffering and situation;
– Let him/her speak and listen without judgment and during this “talk moments”, do not try to give advice….as mentioned let them SPEAK & YOU LISTEN;
– Only then propose your CRPS friend to see/get referred to a pain psychologist specialist and explain him/her it might help to cope with the pain and his life;
– Only then propose your CRPS friend to see/get referred to an occupational therapist so that your friend in chronic pain learns some new skills and passions to enjoy life again;
– Mention that there are CRPS support groups online and this is available WORLWIDE;
– And if none of the above is helping, please check the SUICIDE PHONE HELP LINE immediately (almost available in every country) and or CALL A DOCTOR.
Hope this helps a bit 😉
Your fellow CRPS friend,